Sunday 20 June 2010

More aroma gardening and welcome to new visitors


Having enjoyed a day outside, weeding mainly I finally found time to take a look at my herbs to discover that more are now in flower.

Sage. Salvia officinalis; this poor plant is clinging on to life, I think this will be it's last season, I have two new plants, potted up waiting to take it's place, I use the leaves in stuffings, served with roast pork and chopped up in a liver dish.


Lavender Lavandula stoechas 'Madrid Blue'. This is a new herb for me, I have had french lavender before but with totally purple/blue flowers not with the white top petals, I am guessing that it is going to need protection against frosts.




Jacobs Ladder, I don't consider this to be a herb although it is mentioned in one of my herb books, so I am including it in this post, it happens to be one of my favourite flowers at this time of year so it deserves a mention. We have it self seeding all over the garden and today I had to pull several plants up from my gravel, which I was so reluctant to do but as they were in the middle of the path I had no choice!



I also had more visitors to my garden today, including this painted lady butterfly, on some of my chives, such a good source of nectar for so many bees and butterflies this year.



and this frog, there were actually two frogs but the other took cover to quick for me to photograph

 What a great day in the garden

1 comment:

  1. Lovely photos. I have never had any luck with the stoechas lavenders although the English version grows really well here. I didn't know that Jacob's Ladder was a herb, one plant appeared in my garden two years ago and has spread. This year some of it was white rather than blue. Is this normal?

    ReplyDelete